I am currently an undergraduate student in math, but this question is already bugging me, because I am about to start an undergraduate research project that will likely become my Masters degree as well.

I learned Algebra on my own, and really seemed to enjoy Galois theory. I’ve even made an inquiry on Math.SE (Is there active research in Galois theory?) to see if I could still study it more in depth. The thing is, not a single professor on my university works on this area or anything related directly to it. Since I also loved the rest of Algebra, my project will be on something else (ring theory, linked to a research group on the topic), but I still can’t shake away the desire to learn more Galois.

So how do I actually go about studying something nobody else seems to be studying at my university? I know this can be done, because every research group began at some point with a first person interested in the topic (in fact, I know about professors who have created their own research groups relatively recently), but I really just don’t know what I can do as an undergraduate/early graduate student.

Thanks in advance!

This is sort-of (but not entirely) related to the following thread, which inspired me to write this one:

How realistic it is to change to a different field of mathematics after PhD?